Monday, February 27, 2006

Jack's Weekend part I

As most of the people who read this blog know, I go home to Sioux Falls nearly every weekend to work at my beloved Hy-Vee. I'm going to start posting funny events and situations from The 'Vee. This past weekend was pretty normal - lots of lottery tickets, photo processing and stamps. I never understood how people can come in and buy twenty dollars worth of lottery tickets twice a week every week on the dot. It's not like they're bad people, some of the "regulars" who buy lottery tickets are my favorite customers. But when you see them drop that much money and win at most three to four dollars you kind of feel bad selling tickets to them. Oh well, lots of them have told me that if they win a big jackpot, they'll share the wealth (fringe benefit of working with lottery tickets). Probably my favorite part of customer service is either working the postal counter or processing photos. I like doing postal because you get to meet some cool people as well - for example, there is a guy who used to (I haven't seen him in awhile since I work mostly days now) come in and mail off sports cards; baseball, basketball etc... and you get to chat with him a little while you get his packages all ready to go. I really like to see when a parent or friend or spouse of someone in the armed forces comes in to send off a care package, the joy that they get from sending it and the joy that the person will get at the other end - it's kind of cool to be a part of that. Wow, that was pretty sappy. I better find some cool hunting stories to talk about on the next post or something. Oh and photos - I just like doing that because I'm a huge nerd and a gadget freak. And processing photos is a very methodical thing... I like that too. I'm a dork; what can I say?

To end, I ask the question:
Why can't there be more news articles like this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh...that's touching!